Saturday, August 11, 2007

08.11 Downieville, CA

All I have to say is, Welcome to Paradise. I LOVE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. The first part of our 70 mile ride today out of Tahoe was rough...two hard climbs, lots of little climbs, etc. But I summited Yuba Pass, had some lunch and then the next 20 miles were amazing. All downhill...literally. Some of us stopped at one point to go check out Yuba River which was running along the road all down the mountain. We climbed down the rocks to the water. This water was SO COLD, it was basically last winter's ski season coming down the mountains. We just waded in a little and sat on the sunny rocks. It was amazing and just the thing I needed to ground me and wake me up to the paradise around me. The rest of the ride was just as beautiful - I haven't seen so many pine trees since I used to live in Colorado. The green is overwhelming after the desert of Nevada. We're staying in the backyard of a couple's house who own the campground here. And honestly, I have found the place that I want to live. Their house is gorgeous, with a beautiful backyard, pool, hammocks, 2 golden retrievers...all while being rustic and in the middle of nowhere. They are SO nice, letting us sleep on their lawn, use their showers, kitchen, wireless, etc.

The rest of my day in Tahoe was really nice yesterday. I took the free trolley back to the campsite from the Internet Cafe and joined some people at the beach across the street. Eventually I went to do laundry (my job this week) and wandered around a craft fair and got some delicious fudge tracks ice cream to occupy myself. I grabbed dinner with Josh and Sean afterwards - we had a little wireless internet party.

Oh man, I'm so full right now...on brownies and other delicious treats from everyone's mail drops. Dinner is being cooked so hopefully I'll get my appetite back. I'm not too worried about it :) Only 5 days left of eating whatever I want!

No comments: