Friday, August 10, 2007

08.10 Lake Tahoe, CALIFORNIA!!!

I MADE IT TO CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!! Okay, I just had to get that out…now I can recap the past few days…

08.07 The rest of my sick day from Eureka, NV to Austin, NV was fairly uneventful. All of us sickies eventually made it to the town hall we stayed at in Austin and we just laid around and ate a little. The one spectacle of the night was Spencer being bet $10 that he couldn’t climb the mountain in 10 minutes…and despite his sickness, he did it. He climbed the mountain/hill across the street to the top of the ‘A’ for Austin (all the towns in Nevada have their first letter at the top of a hill) in about 7 minutes. Crazy crazy boy.

08.08 I actually felt great when I woke up this morning…I was hungry (such a great feeling after being sick) and was excited to get on my bike. We had our longest day ahead of us…a supposed 118 miles to Fallon, NV (an actual city!). We left around 6:30am and it was SO COLD. Some of us had to stop for about half an hour because we literally could not bike. My fingers were freezing off and my body just would not function. It was not a great start to the day and it just got worse from there. The ride was hard, long, hot, boring and just generally miserable. I still didn’t feel wonderful which just added to the delirium of biking in the desert. The last 30 miles after second lunch were the worst because we biked through the literal desert. I’m talking sand for miles, no plants, mirages in the distance. The white stuff on the side of the road is sand: There was an actual sand mountain; I felt like I was in freaking Egypt of something. Thank god for the entertaining people who wrote things with rocks on the ride of the road…I read those for miles and didn’t go completely crazy. The Habitat Bike Challenge who passed through before us left this rock bicycle:

Around mile 102, when I didn’t know if I could make the last 15 miles, the van came around with popsicles and the great news that there were only 8 miles left. We also were passing through the Fallon airforce base and I saw a helicopter practicing rescues with people dangling from wires. This is the area where parts of Top Gun were filmed…you know the scenes where they are practicing flying and it looks like the middle of nowhere? yeah. So it was great to enter a city and see trees and greenness. We stayed at a Methodist church and had wonderful food (burritos).

08.09 Today was 94 miles into California and Lake Tahoe. Just for future reference, I HATE NEVADA. The people are great (besides the motorcyclist who told us to ‘Get off the f’ing road’) but I will never return to this state. The ride to Lake Tahoe was one of our most physically challenging…we climbed a total of 3000 ft and 2300 of those feet were in 10 miles. Climbing up that mountain was ridiculous…the head wind was awful and I have never yelled so loudly at the wind/roads. I still can’t believe I actually made it up. Especially after seeing the ‘Bear X-ing’ sign. Summiting was amazing…and the descent to the lake was indescribable. I was speeding down this mountain road in the forest and all of a sudden, BAM there is this huge, beautiful lake. I teared up I was so happy and it was so beautiful. The last 15 miles into California were just amazing, and honestly, I really feel at home. I think I was meant to be born in Northern California. I really could live at Lake Tahoe forever. I mean maybe I’m just really happy to be here after the week from hell…but seriously it’s awesome. I was the 5th person to arrive which was unusual and the 5 of us just hung out and ate delicious treats from Molly’s sister and Claude’s girlfriend and set up the tents at Sandy Beach Campground. The night was SO COLD and I unfortunately got stuck in a tent by myself because some people went out to dinner unannounced and never came back. I think they went to Molly’s grandparents’ house but I’m not sure. So my night was chilly but it was nice after the desert. Now I’m in the Java Hut, an awesome coffee shop about 1.5 miles from our campground. I might go parasailing with Bre later…we’ll see what the prices are like. Anyway, check out the pics. Less than a week until San Francisco!!!!!! Much love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Golly... I'm so sorry to hear that you were so sick!! I'm glad you're feeling better and that you've made it to CALI!!!!!!!!!
Keep it up, you're almost there.
Love ya,
Aims