Sunday, August 5, 2007

08.05 Ely, NV

Yesterday we biked 96 miles and crossed into Nevada. It was an awful day...there was a typical amount of climbing but it was SO HOT. And besides Las Vegas and Reno, there is basically nothing in Nevada. Here were my feelings at the state sign:
Jeff and Andrea spiced things up a little by creating the Nevada Scavenger Hunt but I was concentrating so hard on just getting through the day that I didn't start anything. I did discover one thing that helped me a lot...I clipped my phone to my jersey and played music on it (yay for new phones!). It got me up the hills and put me in an oh so much better mood. Before the last big climb, I stopped at the Panaca Market which has the motto: "Conveniently Located in the Middle of Nowhere." Tells you a little about our day...And just before I turned to go to the next town, there was a sign that said, "Next services, 113 miles." A little preview for the next day. Anyway,I arrived in Pioche, NV around 4...and little did I know that we had switched to Pacific time, so it was really 3pm. Pioche is an old mining town and consists of maybe 400 people and 1 street. I felt like I had stepped into the 19th century. But of all things, they had a Bank of America which I hadn't seen in about 4 states. Yay for cash! I got a root beer float at a little diner with some people and hung around in this random park (green grass = unnatural in NV) until the church was opened for us. We were supposed to hold a bike clinic for little kids at 5 but no one showed up. Pioche was nice but not exactly the most happening town. The pastor and some church ladies served us a delicious meal; Marco helped me fix my brakes; and bedtime it was.

Today we rode 107 miles to Ely, NV (pronounced eelee) and there was literally NOTHING in between Pioche and Ely. This was my longest ride day so far and thankfully it went really fast.

Does the road EVER end?
The roads were great and we had a tailwind, so by 11am I had ridden 80 miles. The scenery was really nice, though it didn't change one bit. At mile 3 I had mountains to my right, left, front and back...and it was the same at mile 95. At mile 80 we hopped on Route 50, which is called the Loneliest Road in America. We'll be on that for the next 4 days...We had a climb from mile 80-86ish and it was one of our most difficult. I averaged about 5 mph and proved Molly's rule wrong that if you go under 5mph you'll tip over. I definitely hit 4mph. I thought the hill would be much longer so at mile 85.5 I had a slight hissy fit/tantrum complaining that I couldn't do this for another hour (remember I was by myself). Then I rounded the bend and I was at the top of the hill. And I felt stupid. But so it goes. On the way down the hill, the wind was ridiculous. When you ride your bike for so long and times get rough, sometimes the only way to feel better and the only thing you can do is yell at inanimate things. I've yelled at the hills before and today I yelled at the wind..."Okay wind, if you keep it up, I can't bike anymore! Seriously...what the *#@^?"

I also used my music again today which helped a lot. Shout out to my Ecuador chicos/chicas...I rocked out to 'Me Vale' Alexa-style on my bike...alone...in the middle of Nevada. Good times :)

Arriving in Ely, I have never been happier to see a McDonalds before in my life. I've also never felt so great after eating McDonalds. I figure biking 107 miles balances out a little McDonalds trans-fat. Now I'm relaxing in the Baptist church with wireless after a wonderful shower at the Ramada Inn down the street (fresh towels...oh the small pleasures in life).

Hope everyone is doing well. I know times are busy but keep me updated on your lives! Much love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Caitlyn,

Thanks for your regular updates. Em's whole family (and many others I'm sure) reads your blog regularly to keep up to date.

Best wishes to the whole group as you trek across Nevada!

Tom

Unknown said...

YAY for clean towels, beautiful scenery, good music, trans-fats, fast speeds due to good winds, and oh so much more. :)

Miss you, and I'm glad you're doing well.

Hugs,

Aims